How to join wav audio files using python
Web applications often require to share content in form of audio files with their users. This tutorial is about a news website that generates news files in wav audio formats. You will learn to join wav audio files using python and generate a combined audio file.
Audio files needed for this tutorial are:
1. A welcome.wav file for adding it in start of our generated file. Welcome to our website
2. A beep sound, beep.wav file. This file is added after each news headline to separate the news headlines
3. A thank-you.wav file, that is embedded at the end of .wav file. This file states Thank you for visiting out website.
News headline .wav files
i) Safeguarding Hardware from Cyber attack
ii) Better Artificially Intelligent Devices
iii) Restoring computer based art
iv) Efficiency for Fast Data Center Operations
The combined generated file
Following tasks are performed in this tutorial
1. Install Python on your computer
2. Install pydub module and use AudioSegment object
3. Download and use FFMPEG module
4. Create project directory, download and add wav files
5. Create a script file to join wav files using python to one file
Install python to join wav audio files using python
Download and install python3 on your computer. On a MAC, Python can be installed using brew.
brew install python3
Pip or pip3 is automatically installed with python installation.
Install pydub module using pip3
Pip module can be found in Python installation’s Scripts directory. It can be used to install different python modules. pydub module is needed for AudioSegment object. That is used to read and join the wav audio files.
pip3 install pydub
Create a project folder
- Create a project directory named: join wav audio files using python.
- Create a directory News, inside project directory. News directory contains directories for daily news headlines wav audio files.
- Create a directory 2019-03-02, inside news directory. Download and copy the four news files inside this directory.
- Create a directory named include, inside news directory. Download and copy welcome, beep and thank-you files in this directory.
FFMPEG module to join wav audio files using python
To work with audio segment and join wav files, we need to install ffmpeg module. Download ffmpeg, unzip, install and put the .executable file in project directory.
Script to join wav audio files using python
In project directory, create a python file join_wav_files.py. Add code below into it.
#!usr/local/bin/python import glob import sys import os
First line is path to executable to python interpreter. Then import glob, sys and os modules.
- Glob module is used to find files in a directory.
- Sys module is used to access system parameters and methods.
- Os module is used to access operating system specific functions.
from pydub import AudioSegment
From pydub module, AudioSegment object is imported.
dirpath = "news/" headingsNewsDir = dirpath+"2019-03-01/" includeDir = dirpath+"/include/" generatedFile = "combined_news_file.wav"
- Dirpath is set to news directory
- headingNewsDir directory contains headline wav files
- IncludeDir contains welcome, beep and thank-you files
- The generatedFile variable is the name to combined_news_file.wav.
Assign welcome, beep and thank-you files
Create a filenames variable. filenames variable uses glob.glob method that returns files name with full path. It contains all news wav files.
filenames = glob.glob(headingsNewsDir+'*.wav') welcome = AudioSegment.from_wav(includeDir + "welcome.wav") thankyou = AudioSegment.from_wav(includeDir + "thankyou.wav") beep = AudioSegment.from_wav(includeDir + "beep.wav")
Using from_wav file method of AudioSegment object, we have opened welcome, thank-you and beep.wav files from the include directory.
Add news headline wav files to array
filenameswithbeep = [welcome, beep] combined = AudioSegment.empty() for filename in filenames: audiofilename = AudioSegment.from_wav(filename) filenameswithbeep.extend([audiofilename, beep]) filenameswithbeep.extend([thankyou]
An array filenameswithbeep is created. Welcome.wav and beep.wav files are assigned to array. In next line, a zero duration AudioSegment object is created and assigned to combined variable.
In a for loop all the file names are opened using audioSegment‘s from_wav method. File name with full path is passed to from_wav method. Each filename is added to the filenameswithbeep array using extend method.
Array contains welcome file and all the news headline file names, separated with a beep file name. After loop is finished, thank-you.wav file is appended to the array.
for fname in filenameswithbeep: combined += fname
All the file names in filenames with beep array are looped. Each file name is added to the combined audio-segment.
combined.export(headingsNewsDir + generatedFile, format="wav")
In last line, combined audio segment is exported to headingNews directory and saved in wav format.
Removing audio files from directory
for fname in filenames: os.remove(fname)
In last, using os.remove with a filename, files can be deleted form the directory.
Download source code from GitHub
In this tutorial, you learned to install required python modules and created a python script to join different .wav audio format files into one file.
Final Generated file:
Please subscribe our newsletter, follow us on twitter of like us on Facebook to stay updated about upcoming articles.
- How to send sms using nodejs with jquery ajax and nexmo Api
- How to create a weather app in nodejs using Open Weather Map API
- How to create nodejs https server on localhost using openssl
- Import CSV file using nodejs and mongodb with ExpressJS and Mongoose
- How to generate CSV using nodejs and mongodb with mongoose