Career in Digital Marketing & SEO
As technology is evolving continuously, entrepreneurs and marketers are prompted to dive into the digital platforms to maximize brand awareness, reach bigger markets and target more audiences to ultimately drive sales and profit. If you are thinking about having a career in digital marketing, then know that it is vastly different than it used to be two decades ago.
These days, marketing is all about online marketing using digital and social media channels. This means better career opportunities and higher salaries for marketing experts.This article gives an overview of a career in digital marketing, social media marketing, and search engine optimization.
What is digital marketing?
It involves all the marketing efforts and assets that use the internet or an electronic device. Companies leverage digital media channels such as email marketing, PPC, blogging, and social media platforms individually or combined for advertising to connect with potential customers and increase sales.
Why is digital marketing important?
Let’s have a look at the top 4 reasons why digital marketing is essential for businesses:
- Target Mass Audience: With digital marketing, you can reach a massive audience anywhere compared to yesterday’s traditional marketing methods. That’s because now every 4 out of 5 members in a family use smartphones, and the internet is the most commonly used way people get to know about brands and products. The best part is that digital marketing help target only the right set of people that will most likely purchase your services or products.
- Cost-Effective: You can easily track campaigns on a regular basis and minimize the budget that you spend on different channels if one or more do not provide a high ROI. You can follow different strategies to ensure that your money is not getting wasted on the mediums that don’t do well for your specific business or goal.
- Measuring and Tracking Capability: With different metric tools and web analytics, it is easy to track how effective the marketing campaign is going. You can get plenty of information about how clients respond to our advertising or use the website and tweak your marketing campaign more effectively.
- Customer Care: Digital Marketing enables you to directly communicate with the customers through comments on social media or blogs and reviews. By carefully managing and getting involved with social media, a company can build a reputation for its customer services and enjoy customer loyalty by staying in touch with people.
What skills do you require to become a digital marketer?
This section covers the skills you need to become a digital marketer and start career in digital marketing:
- Data Analysis: To become a digital marketer, you must know how to analyze customer data, cleanse redundant data, and grow business by creating a marketing strategy. With data analytic tools, marketers get the information to understand how to target the customers by designing and employing well-structured campaigns. These tools also help marketers to analyze and organize the information.
- SEM and SEO: SEO means search engine optimization for organic search, while SEM stands for search engine marketing involving paid tactics to get visibility in SERPs. With these two strategies, you can drive traffic to your site with carefully set up and optimized ads. It is necessary to be updated with the latest search engine algorithms as the World Wide Web is getting more and more crowded. You can better execute your marketing strategies with a detailed understanding of SEO and SEM.
- Social Media Skills: Nowadays, digital marketing engages people about their products and services through social media sites. They use this platform to reach potential buyers and promote the company or products. An effective digital marketer must know that there is more to just regular posting, such as proper hashtags use, optimized posts, development of business groups, optimization of videos and images, and more.
- Mobile Marketing: As per the statistics of Hubspot’s marketing, about half of the B2B buyers search for products on their mobile. Thus, it is now essential for digital marketers to create content and ad/website design that is mobile friendly and leverage the dependence of the masses on smartphones for business.
Social Media Marketing
SMM is a form of internet marketing that includes content creation and sharing on social media platforms in an attempt to achieve branding and marketing goals. Social media marketing activities include image updates, posting texts, videos, and other related content that attracts mass traffic. It also includes paid social media advertising. The most popular SMM platforms include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
Importance of Social Media Marketing
Today, when a consumer wants to know about a product or a service or some organization, they choose social media because they get to know about other people’s experiences with that business.
If your business doesn’t have a social media presence, you can miss a great opportunity to impact consumers. Now, it is imperative to have a sound social media marketing strategy to not miss the great opportunities to mark your impression on your clients.
As per Oberlo, around 71% of the consumers likely to recommend the brand to their family and friends if they had a positive experience with them on social media. Moreover, the active percentage of Millennials, Generation X, and Baby Boomers is 90.4%, 77.5%, and 48.2%, respectively. Just Facebook has more than 2.7 billion active users monthly.
These stats clearly show that no business can afford to miss out on the social media marketing platform in this growing competitive environment.
How does social media marketing benefits your business?
There are several marketing goals that you can achieve with the help of SMM, such as:
- Improving conversions
- Increasing web traffic
- Creating a positive brand association and brand identity
- Raising brand awareness
- Improving interaction and communication with the audience
- Getting feedback for company and product or service improvements.
Skills required for social media marketing
Here are some essential skills to become a social media marketer;
- Strategy Making: Social media marketers must know the strategy-making process and not just that but also prioritizing the objectives and executing the plan to make it a reality.
- Creativity: Social media users do not like boring and repetitive content, so to get the followers hooked, social media marketers must bring engaging ideas, campaigns, and creative initiatives.
- Effective Communication: It is a must-have skill of the social media manager. Effective communication helps the company to connect with the consumers as well as to get along with colleagues.
- Data-driven Capability: It is one of the responsibilities of the social media manager to communicate value to the audience and the company. They must be able to create useful social media reports and use analytics to provide impressive returns on investment.
- Discerning: Must be able to make sound judgments and timely decisions as social media is a fast-medium and not every post goes through the multi-level editorial process.
- Super-Organized: Social media managers post on their platforms, monitor, and reply to follower’s comments several times a day. This requires day-to-day management; thus, being organized will help to be gracefully efficient in this role.
- Good Content Writer And Researcher: Although social media is dominated by the graphics, importance of good writing content is still in demand. Your headlines, tweet crafting, or creating a post requires good research and captivating words.
A career in search engine optimization
SEO is a digital marketing strategy that businesses use to make content attractive for the search engines to rank it better and get organic traffic. With SEO and a career in digital marketing, you can optimize web pages and its content by using relevant keywords so that it is easily discoverable by users, improving traffic quality and quantity.
Isn’t it what businesses need today? It is on-page SEO or off-page; companies, individual sellers, and even bloggers need SEO services to get their content ranked higher. In SEO, you optimize content, images, and videos with high-ranking, low difficulty keywords. You are also responsible for optimizing tags, meta descriptions, and titles.
Moreover, in the search engine optimization process, web pages become easier for the search engine indexing system called ‘crawlers’ to scan, find, and index the site.
Importance of SEO for Businesses
SEO career is an excellent one to opt for as SEO specialists are in demand. Organizations need visibility to attract customers, and SEO offers them this opportunity. SEO is now a critical component of online business success. Most buyers do online research before buying a product or availing services.
So, those brands that don’t or have a weak presence online will fall behind the competition. Businesses need to have a strong SEO strategy that allows them to position their website and their content higher on the SERPs for the relevant keywords.
This way they can catch the sight of prospective customers and improve their organic traffic. Moreover, SEO is not just limited to keyword use, but good SEO enhances the website’s usability and user experience.
What skills are required to become SEO manager?
To work in the SEO industry and career in digital marketing, you must have the below-mentioned SEO skills.
- Technical SEO: You need to learn technical SEO-related everything, including page-level and server-level optimization, sitemaps, server-side settings, rewrite, server response codes, and more.
- Social Media Marketing: For a career in SEO, you shouldn’t be just limited to maintaining social media site account but learn other skills such as YouTube video optimization and fan acquisition strategies.
- Link Building: An SEO manager must have internal link building and external link building optimization skills.
How SEO benefit businesses by career in digital marketing?
Just to name a few, here are some benefits of SEO for businesses.
- User-friendly Websites: With SEO, you can create a smoother, faster, and user-friendlier website. Visitors stay longer on websites that are uncluttered, clean, and well-structured.
- More Potential Clients: SEO increase your customer base organically with an affordable and efficient marketing strategy.
- Better Conversion Rates: As SEO websites are optimized to load faster and have a proper display on all kinds of devices, they quickly hold the visitor’s attention. So, the chances are more that they become your subscribers and loyal customers.
Today career in marketing is not for everyone. To become one successful marketer today, you must know and learn the digital marketing tools and strategies at your fingertips. For that, you need to dedicate your time and energy to learn digital marketing skills for your career growth.
- What is Front-End Development? Become A Front-End Developer
- What is Agile Software Development? And The Best Agile Practices
- What is Devops? All You Need To Know About Development Operations
- Top IT Certifications for Professionals in 2021 and beyond
- 11 Best Freelancing Platforms for Web Developers in 2021